Episode 005: Story Is King (Part 2 of 6): The 7 Basic Plots
Thursday, December 16, 2015 | by Ed Williams and Brent Lyles
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
In the 2nd episode of our 6-part series, we go over all 9 plots, their examples, and even go into how they’re used in our own comic projects and stories.
- You don’t have to stick to just one plot. Several plots can happen within your comic’s story. The best example of multiple plots is Star Wars. Star Wars is a rags to riches quest where the hero overcomes the monster on a voyage and return while the Villain experiences rebirth at the end.
- You can’t put syrup on trash and expect pancakes, you’re just going to get syrupy trash. You only get phenomenal storytelling when you make story a priority and not an afterthought.
- Even with finding the soul of your character, having a great story to tell through them helps you find the soul.
- You need great characters to tell a great story. You need a great story to support great characters. You can’t have one without the other.
- Note: Ed keeps pounding on his desk. He won’t do that again, but that’s the thudding noise you keep hearing in the recording. Forgive us!