Episode 008: Story Is King (Part 3 of 6): The Narrative Conflicts
Thursday, January 7, 2016 | by Ed Williams and Brent Lyles
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Conflict keeps our lives interesting. It gives us challenges to overcome and allows us to grow as people. The same conflicts you go through are the same conflicts your character(s) need to go through in order to drive your story forward.
- Conflict keeps the story moving forward. It reveals your character’s inner strength and weaknesses, and helps the readers to judge the motives of your character, thus forming an opinion.
- Conflict challenges your characters and helps expose your character’s different belief systems, perspectives on life, and weaknesses.
- Finding the soul of your characters helps create great internal conflict.
- There’s only 1 internal conflict:
Man v. Self
- There are 4 external conflicts:
Man v. Man
Man v. Nature
Man v. Society
Man v. Fate
- There are 2 additional conflicts:
Man v. God/ Supernatural
Man v. Machines