Episode 020: How To Build an Indie Comic Team That Gets Stuff Done
Thursday, April 7, 2016 | by Ed Williams and Brent Lyles
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
In this episode, Brent and I talk about how you should go about building an epic indie comic studio team that gets stuff done. Because if you aren’t getting stuff done, you aren’t going anywhere. And in order to get somewhere, you need all the right people in the right places to start.
- If people are knocking down your door and asking you if they can join your studio or project, you need to pay attention
- You need people who are passionate, who are gifted, who are smarter than you, and with amazing attitudes.
- People respond to passion. It’s a driving force. Recognize it and if they’re the right fit, bring those people aboard.
- You have to have someone with vision otherwise, where are you going as a team.
Focus on what you’re good at, then bring someone in who’s good at the other stuff you can’t handle.
- You don’t have to be the smartest person in the room just because you’re the leader.
- Build a team on the exchange of opportunity not favor. When you ask someone to join your project, you’re requesting a favor. When they ask you, you’re giving them an opportunity.