ICCP 021: Here’s How to Tell Character-Driven Stories Forever (Part 1 of 3)
Thursday, April 14, 2016 | by Ed Williams
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Ed starts us off on a solo show and goes into how to unleash the soul of your character and get into the nuts-and-bolts of how you create a storytelling powerhouse out of that character.
- The key to creating storytelling powerhouses is giving those characters soul.
- Storytelling powerhouses are your Spider-Mans, Wonder-Womans, and Supermans. That very high-end level of character who’s stories have been around for generations.
- Your characters have to embody the human condition and element, and be reflections of humanity.
- When it comes to superheroes, we need a balance of the ordinary and the extraordinary.
- You need those ordinary moments and a backdrop or a world for your character to function in outside of the superhero persona.
- You supercharge your reader’s care and desire to understand your characters and story by layering the complexity.
- As the creator, it is your responsibility to create the material necessary to tell your reader more from your backstory.
- We don’t give enough weight to the importance of core personality traits and habitual behaviors.
- Habitual behaviors add to the grander presence, brand, essence, and soul of major characters. You can do the same thing.
There are 2 sides to comics: the creative & the business. Let us help you with the business.
There’s only so much time in the day and we can bet you want to spend it creating. We’ve figured out the other stuff for you (you know: marketing, selling and branding). Stop wasting time figuring out how to do it yourself and get back to doing the work you love with our tools and resources.