Episode 025: We’re Just Getting Started (Special 25th Episode)
Thursday, May 19, 2016 | by Ed Williams and Brent Lyles
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
We talk about everything from Tim and Neph’s transition from show listeners to full-time Arclight artists; to how our team works and functions from day-to-day; we reflect on past episodes and topics; pitch ideas for newer ones and newer series; explain why we tell the kind of stories we tell in our mini issues; talk about our prequel issue launch; and when the Arclight villains are coming and how we’re approaching developing them.
- This podcast is all about letting you know what lies ahead as you create your first independent comic.
- Keep in mind: it isn’t as easy as ‘creating superheroes’. You’re responsible for a lot of moving parts. We do our best to talk about the things you’re going encounter and will need to know before you get there.
- Story needs to drive everything you do. From characters, to the actual script—even when deciding if new hires are going to be able to create new characters. If you give story priority, everything else will fall into place.
- Be aware: It takes hard work and hustle to make a Kickstarter successful. You have to do some leg work before throwing your project on the platform. Otherwise, the results aren’t pretty.
- Diversity is an industry buzzword. The way you can do things differently is by focusing on the character as a human being and a person, not a minority.
- Arclight tells its stories from the perspective of our own experiences and realities. The stories we’ve told so far are the ones we want to see back in comics. Stories that resonate and connect on a more human and personal level.
- The greatest villains are the ones that believe they’re the hero of the story. Don’t give your heroes so much shine that you forget to develop a compelling villain.
- Arclight’s villains are getting ready to be worked on. We’re changing direction and giving them priority.