Episode 027: If Social Media Went Away Tomorrow, Are You Insured? (The Importance of Building Your Own Platform)
Thursday, June 2, 2016 | by Ed Williams and Brent Lyles
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
We talk about the benefits of building your own platform; using social media as acquisition channels. We give you platform-building resources and even share with you what to do if you’re an independent artist, writer or colorist and how you can stand out from the crowd by creating an experience and personal brand on your own platform.
- Yes. You do need your own website. There is absolutely no substitute for your own platform.
- No. You don’t need something huge to start with. If social media is all you can afford at this time that is perfectly fine. But eventually you need to start building your own.
- We’re essentially renting out these platforms’ backyards. The rules of the game can change at any minute whether we like it or not.
- If social media went away tomorrow, do you have a home to call your own your audience can go to and interact? If the answer is no, you are not insured.
- When you build your own platform you control the experience. You’re in complete control of what your brand is capable of.