Episode 035: What It Really Takes to Start an Indie Comic Book Company
(Part 1 of 6): Need & Vision
Thursday, August 4, 2016 | by Ed Williams and Brent Lyles
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Great characters and stories are very important, but if you don’t address the business side of this, moving and progressing forward is going to get really tough. And that’s why we’ve decided to put on this six part series of what it really takes to get started in creating an indie comic book company.
- You have to discover a need in this market. If there is no need, you will not have a market.
- The need you discover leads to a market. The market leads to an audience. Your audience leads to sales.
- Vision gives the need you’ve identified direction. It’s how you’re going to deliver this to your audience.
- Your fleeting inspiration and motivation may be due to not finding a need to sustain your project enough to convert over to a business.
- Lack of vision keeps you walking around in circles. You have to have an outline/picture of what is to come, then reverse engineer it on how to get there.