Episode 036: What It Really Takes to Start an Indie Comic Book Company
(Part 2 of 6): Infrastructure
Thursday, August 18, 2016 | by Ed Williams and Brent Lyles
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Building a comic universe and brand, then delivering it all in the form of a comic is no easy task. But the most important step in the right direction is to start with Why.
- If you ignore infrastructure, you’re ignoring the foundation and success of your company.
- Building infrastructure gives everything a foundation. It’s the framework of the entire operation that everything else will depend on.
- There’s an 80/20 rule here. 80% of infrastructure is cultural infrastructure. 20% is comic universe infrastructure.
- There are two playgrounds: 1) The playground the team has to play in and 2) The playground your characters and stories have to play in. Both playgrounds and their rules are of the utmost importance.
- Your need and vision are connected to the infrastructure you build. In fact, it should be inspired by those two things.
- Comic universe infrastructure builds the model for the kinds of stories you’re going to tell and the kinds of characters needed to tell them. Arclight’s infrastructure requires we fold realism into our IP, therefore, the universal model invites political and social commentary into our stories.