Episode 038: What It Really Takes Starting An Indie Comic Book Company (Part 4 of 6): Leadership
Thursday, September, 1, 2016 | by Ed Williams and Brent Lyles
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
In this episode, we dive into the importance of leadership and how to go about doing it for projects like this. Ed shares his experiences leading from the front and Brent shares his experiences of working with Arclight and how the leadership allows each team member to perform their best work, as well as unlock their potential so Arclight can continue delivering content.
- Leadership is about sacrifice, not calling the shots.
- You have to lead from the front. Leading from the back isn’t inspiring or motivating anyone.
- You are required, by design, to do more as the leader. Never should you ever ask anyone to do more than what you’re willing to do.
- You cannot put expectations on others that you haven’t put on yourself.
- Leadership is a skill not intended for those who only want to be in control or in charge. You have to be benevolent, not a dictator.
- It is important to constantly communicate your company’s story, challenges, values and directives to the team.
- Team buy-in is important. They should feel like they have some ownership in the grander vision.